Wednesday, November 28, 2012

4. Best Practices

All teachers love playing Jeopardy - at least some form of it.  I have finally figured out a good way to make it work that keeps all students engaged.  I randomly form teams of 3 to 4 students and play Jeopardy through a powerpoint presentation.  When a question pops up every student must work the problem on his/her own paper.  I use a countdown timer then each team flashes an answer on a whiteboard, and I award points accordingly.

I've always struggled with assigning students a grade for this .... until now.  Each student must work every question and turn it in at the end of the game.  Every student that does this will get a 50/50.  If their team wins I create a separate assignment and they receive a 100/100.  Second place gets 75/75 and third 60/60.  Everyone gets 100% but the winners get a bigger 100%, not awarding grades above 100% helps prevent inflation.   Awarding first second and third place prizes keeps everyone in the game even if one team jumps out to a lead.

The kids love it and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment